Located in the center of town, the Narragansett
Town Beach is a favorite of both visitors and Town
residents. Facilities include the North Pavilion and South
Pavilion providing showers, restrooms, and refreshments.
The North Beach Cabanas are available (for a fee) to residents
for seasonal use. The North Beach Clubhouse is a rental
facility also located on the Town Beach available for public and
The Town Beach is open daily from Memorial Day weekend through
Labor Day weekend. Daily admission onto the Town Beach is $5 per
day and is not transferable. Children under the age of 12 are
Seasonal passes to the Town Beach are available to both
residents and non-residents and can be purchased at the
Department of Parks and Recreation Facility on Clarke Road.
Daily parking at the Town Beach is available for both residents
and non-residents. Parking fees are $8 per vehicle Monday
through Friday and $10 per vehicle on weekends and holidays.
Beach parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Seasonal parking passes at the Town beach are available to
Narragansett residents only (seasonal passes are not available
to non-residents). Seasonal parking pass fees are $40 per
sticker with a photo ID required at the time of purchase.
Seasonal parking passes are not transferable.
SALTY BRINE STATE BEACH
ACREAGE: 1.1 Acres
DATE STATE ACQUIRED: Between 1954 and 1956
PREVIOUS OWNERS: Department of Public Works and Division of
Harbors and Rivers
OTHER NAMES: Galilee State Beach
HISTORY: Formerly known as Galilee State Beach, Salty Brine
State Beach was dedicated in 1990 to Rhode Island's most widely
recognized radio personality, Salty Brine.
The pier and surrounding area have always been heavily utilized
by fishermen, commercial and recreational, and also by the
public who enjoy watching the boats come and go all day long.
During the Revolutionary War, British ships frequently sailed
through the natural breachway and anchored there. After the war,
the breachway became a great asset to the farmers in the area
who brought their crops by wagon to a shoreline warehouse in the
As you can see, from the 1800's and on through the years, the
Galilee area has been a very valuable resource and will continue
to remain so for some time to come.
SCARBOROUGH STATE BEACH
Scarborough Beach is Rhode
Islandšs most popular and well known beach. Located 35 miles
south of Providence on Ocean Road in Narragansett, it is a 26
acre facility with 2,325 feet of beach frontage.
Scarborough was originally developed in 1937. It has long been
known as the principal destination for a "day at the beach" for
thousands of Rhode Islanders over the years.
With the acquisition of Olivošs and Lidošs beaches to the south
of Scarborough, the State of Rhode Island now has an additional
16 acres and over 1,000 feet of beach frontage for expanding the
saltwater recreational facilities at Scarborough. After many
years of use, the State in 1987, embarked on a
multiphase/multimillion dollar restoration and redevelopment
project for Scarborough, Olivošs and Lidošs.
The State of Rhode Island has one of the finest, if not, the
finest saltwater beach and recreational facility in Southeastern
New England. It is hoped that this facility will help to
maintain the positive image of Rhode Islandšs saltwater beaches,
and to continue to provide, not only to this generation but
future generations of Rhode Islanders, a quality experience for
a "day at the beach".
Scarborough State Beach with its newly renovated pavilion and
expanded beach area along with renovations to the Olivošs and
Lidošs beach areas, which are now referred to as the Scarborough
South Complex, will offer a wide range of beach related
activities. Saltwater bathing with lifeguards on duty from 9:00
am to 6:00 pm will continue to be Scarboroughšs biggest
attraction along with picnicking, an observation tower with
scenic views and boardwalk. People of all ages will find
activities of interest from sun bathing on Scarboroughšs sandy
beach, and people watching on its boardwalk to picnicking under
shaded shelters, and saltwater bathing in one of Rhode Islandšs
most popular spots.
ROGER WHEELER STATE BEACH
ACREAGE: 27 Acres
DATE STATE ACQUIRED: 1929
PREVIOUS OWNERS: John Bull (a Tory)
ORIGIN OF NAME: The beach was renamed in grateful remembrance in
1970 by the people of the State of Rhode Island for Captain
Roger W. Wheeler (1907-1969) who developed the Rhode Island
State Life-Saving System.
OTHER NAMES: Sand Hill Cove (prior to 1970)
DEDICATION CEREMONY: August 15, 1970
GENERAL HISTORY: The Tory and Wig Parties were in constant
conflict with Parliament in England during the American
Revolution on the mid 1700's. The two parties alternated between
power in Parliament and also in the colonies. In the middle to
late 1700's the land was confiscated by the State. In 1935 it
was transferred by the Secretary of State from the Metropolitan
Park Commission to the Department of Agriculture and
Conservation, Division of Forest, Parks and Parkways. Then in
1949 to the Division of Parks and Recreation and Department of
Transportation. Later in 1965 it was transferred to the
Department of Natural Resources which, in 1975 became the
Department of Environmental Management. After much litigation
with the heirs and with about ninety "squatters" who had built
summer homes along the waterfront, title was finally cleared in
1943, and a large modern bathhouse and parking facilities were
constructed between 1955 and 1956. In 1977 a 160 foot ramp that
extends from the parking lot to the beach was built for
handicapped people so that they may enjoy the beach. In 1979
another 160 foot ramp was constructed on the opposite side of
the bathhouse also to help the handicapped.
RECENT HISTORY: In October of 1996, demolition of the "modern
bathhouse" built in 1955 began, and soon after, construction of
a new facility. The new bathhouse, a $1.3 million building, was
officially opened in a ribbon cutting ceremony on June 21, 1997.
Funding for the new facility came partially through state
financing and partially through the National Park Service.
Architectural designs are by William L. Burgin, Inc., and the
construction of the building was performed by Berkshire
Construction Services. The new pavilion, which was specifically
designed for ease in maintenance, has such modern amenities as:
special doors which won't rust or corrode, aluminum and
stainless steel hardware, aluminum grates at bathhouse entrances
to prevent sand-clogged drains, heavy-duty barn like doors used
to close off sections that are not in use, modern bathhouses
with coin-operated hot showers, a playground, concession
building, lifeguard tower, and naturalist area.